31 July, 2010

Rolling Stone Magazine hates Eddie Vedder!

I've noticed an alarming trend. Okay, I'm probably exaggerating. A little. Maybe.

In my first blog I mentioned Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time. I believe that I noted that there were some things missing. The biggest missing feature in my opinion is Pearl Jam. Really?!? Not one of Pearl Jam's songs is worthy of being in the top 500?!? Before I go further, let me mention some of the songs that Rolling Stone magazine says are better than ANYTHING & EVERYTHING released by Pearl Jam. #246 Love Shack - The B-52's. I HATE this song. I realize that many people love it and I can see that it's sort of fun but there is no way it's one of the 500 best EVER. #174 Dancing Queen - Abba. Um, what?!? #118 Crazy in Love - Beyonce featuring Jay Z. I honestly don't know this song but I can't imagine anything by Beyonce being better than everything by Pearl Jam. #482 Since You've Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson. Um, no. If you started on American Idol you're immediately disqualified.

Also, on their website, Rolling Stone has a list of their 500 greatest singers. This is list of great singers. Not lyricists, performers, whatever. Singers. Guess who's missing. Yup, Eddie Vedder. Who is there, you ask. How about Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Morrisey. I don't want to take anything away from any of these people as artists or performers but let's face it, these are not the best singers. I love Bob Dylan, the man is a poet, but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count on to represent the number of times I've heard someone talk about not being able to listen to the guy because of his voice.

OK, here's the list...

10 Reasons that Rolling Stone should re-think their stance on Pearl Jam.

10. Ten. The greatest album of my generation. I know, Nirvana was ground breaking and unlike anything heard on mainstream radio and yes, they were the demise of 80's rock but I'll take Ten over Nevermind all day. Better musicianship, better vocals and emotional lyrics that came together in a perfect combination.

9. Into The Wild soundtrack. Proof that Eddie can do it alone if need be. It's stripped down and beautiful, especially the closing song Guaranteed.

8. Vs. Great songs and Eddie's voice goes from soft and touching (Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town) to downright scolding (Blood, Leash). Not to mention the haunting closer Indifference.

7. Pearl Jam's cover of Bob Dylan's Masters of War. Here's the thing about this. I didn't know at the time that it was a Dylan song. What does that say about Vedder & Pearl Jam. I believed that the wrote the song about events that were going on in this country at the time. I've since found out more and heard the song and while it's good, it's nothing compared to PJ's version.

6. Riot Act. This is the album that brought me back. I'll admit, I HATE No Code. I can't listen to it. I think there's one good song on the whole album. So, I actually stopped listening to them. I liked songs when I heard them but I didn't buy. Then, for some reason, I bought Riot Act. It was a revelation. Like discovering one of my favorite bands all over again. This is a great album. It's a little more mellow than some of their other work but that's fine with me. Plus, Bu$hleager, although obviously political, which can sometimes turn me off, is poetry set to music.

5. Singles. These guys were so important at the time that Cameron Crow had them be in his movie. Just little parts but it worked to great effect. Not to mention the two fantastic songs that they contributed to a great soundtrack.

4. Longevity. If Kurt Cobain were still alive, and I wish he were, I don't think that Nirvana would have kept releasing music anywhere near the level they were at. Pearl Jam just keeps going with few missteps.

3. Unplugged. Do you remember seeing this. I do. It is probably still one of the best episodes of unplugged ever. If only they would release it.

2. The Jeremy Video. Probably my favorite video of all time. Visually it's stunning. The real weight of it though comes from the lyrics. This was especially powerful for those of us that had been listening to things like Poison & Motley Crue. Yeah, I did. So what. I did however have enough sense to realize that the times were changing and for the better. This song should have been on Rolling Stone's 500 greatest list.

1. Love Reign O'er Me. I knew the guy could sing but to hear them cover my favorite Who song and he absolutely nails it. Is Mick Jagger really a better singer? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment